Meet Our Executive Team
The HLEP executive team is comprised of startup, innovation, and technology enthusiasts, some of whom are former and current entrepreneurs. Learn about our passion for HLEP and how we serve the organization below. Law students interested in joining the board are invited to contact us to find out more about our roles.
Arielle Friehling '17
As president of HLEP, Arielle overseas everything project-related, including day-to-day client team operations, client development, and member recruitment. Arielle joined HLEP her first semester at law school due to a budding interest in technology law. After advising her first client, Arielle joined the HLEP executive team and never looked back. Since then, Arielle has summered at Wikimedia Foundation and Cooley LLP. She’ll soon begin her legal career at Cooley where she'll continue to advise startups.
Sonali Sanyal '17
As executive director, Sonali manages non-project related programming. This includes events, the conference, and the new Incubate program. These additional initiatives are intended to open the HLS community to the range of careers available in the start-up world. Sonali joined HLEP her first semester of 1L and because of her positive experience, became the events director for HLEP the following semester. She will be joining Simpson Thacher after graduating and hopes to have her own venture in the future.
Meg Muncey '18
Vice President of Operations
Meg supervises the Directors of Projects and helps manage the day-to-day client team operations. During her first semester at law school, Meg led an HLEP project team and enjoyed it enough to join the executive board, which she’s been on since. HLEP has sparked Meg’s interest in emerging companies work, so she’ll be summering at WilmerHale in 2017. Prior to law school, Meg taught high school biology with Teach For America and received her BA in Biology at Yale University.
Patrick Grubel '17
Gideon Palte '18
Vice President of Events
Gideon oversees event planning and programming for HLEP. Through events, HLEP seeks to engage its members, collaborate with the law school and greater entrepreneurial communi-ties, and build a culture of entrepreneurship at the law school.
Phil Caruso '18
VP of Business Development
Phil leads HLEP's outreach efforts to entrepreneurs and prospective clients. Phil is a second year JD/MBA candidate at Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School. Prior to his studies, he served for seven years on active duty in the U.S. military. Phil is passionate about technology and helping entrepreneurs succeed. He received a Bachelor of Science in Materials Science & Engineering from Cornell University.
Eric Fu '18
VP of Public Relations
Eric coordinates among several branches of the organization to ensure all members are more plugged in to the available opportunities offered by HLEP. He also maintains HLEP's social media and online presence. Prior to law school, Eric co-founded a mobile applications development startup. He is passionate about disruptive technology and pop/jazz singing. Eric received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the Carroll School of Management at Boston College.
Ben Carson '18
Director of Business Development
Directors of Projects
As former team leaders on client projects, our Directors of Projects support current HLEP project teams with troubleshooting and project management assistance.
Kasey Wang '17
Kasey graduated with a BA in Business Administration from the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business. After a stint in sales and marketing consulting, she now enjoys exploring the intersection of law, entrepreneurship, and venture capital at Harvard Law School. In addition to exploring the legal side at HLS, Kasey is also working on two startups (one biotech, one medical), both of which have been successful in business competitions.
David Kafafian '18
In his role, David assists multiple teams in scoping, researching, and analyzing their respective clients’ legal questions. As a 1L, David led his team in serving Alfie, a fintech startup aimed at offering students an income-based equity financing alternative to student debt. David has since joined Alfie as a co-founder, focusing on legal, regulatory, and sales. Prior to HLS, David worked as a Big Data & Analytics Consultant for IBM Global Business Services. He completed his BA in Economics & Business at Lafayette College.
Vinitra Rangan '18
Vinitra graduated from the University of Virginia in 2012 with a double major in business and politics. Prior to law school, she worked as a consultant at Bain and Company. During her first semester of law school, she led an HLEP project team and found it to be one of the best experiences she's had in law school. Vinitra is very excited to now be overseeing other team leads and helping them serve their clients by providing much-needed legal advice.
George Maliha '18
Yiting Li '18
Alex Knight '18
Jerry Ting '18
Andrei Ignat '18
Prior to his time at HLS, Andrei founded localPHARM, a store-within-a-store retail pharmacy concept. After the sale of localPHARM, he spent several years in private equity, investing in real estate, infrastructure, and early stage technologies. He has served as an advisor to many startups on valuation, fundraising, and investor relations. Andrei spent his 1L summer representing tech company founders in investment disputes, and will be pursuing investment banking for his 2L summer. Andrei received a BA in interdisciplinary studies, economics, and philosophy of religion from Hunter College.
- Brent Duddie (VP of Communications and Public Relations)
- Mengxi Zhu (Events Director)
- Vetan Kapoor (Business Development Committee)
- Eli Shalam (President)
- Sahand Moarefy (Executive Director)
- Amanda Klopp (VP of Operations)
- Patrick Grubel (Treasurer)
- Emily Lorand (VP of Outreach)
- Alicia Lee (Events Coordinator)
- Lauren Visek (Conference Director)
- Sonali Sonyal (Events Director)
- Josh Browning (Incubate Director)
- Feola Odeyemi (VP of Campus Outreach)
- Ariel Hsiung (Director of Projects)
- Daniel Esannason (Director of Projects)
- Craig Ground (Director of Projects)
- Brandon Marsh (Director of Projects)
- Arielle Friehling (Director of Projects)
- Myles McDonagh (Director of Projects)
- Zachary Kimball (President)
- Charity Fort (Events Director)
- Alicia Lee (Conference Co-Director)
- Emily Lorand (VP of Outreach)
- Sahand Moarefy (Conference Co-Director)
- Eli Shalam (VP of Operations)
- Alex Bernstein (Director of Projects)
- Amanda Klopp (Director of Projects)
- Alex Rienzie (Director of Projects)
- Kellen Wittkop (Director of Projects)
- Bryce Daigle (President)
- Jenny Bloom (Social Media Director)
- Katherine Chasmar (Communications)
- Charity Fort (Career Co-Director)
- Katie Kenney (Career Co-Director)
- Zachary Kimball (Web Director)
- Kasey Uhlenhuth (Technology Director)
- Nick Whitney (Systems Director)
- Daniel Doktori (President)
- Jordan Roberts (Executive Director)
- Katherine Chasmar (Communications)
- Michael Gruben (Systems Director)
- Teel Lidow (President)
- Daniel Doktori (Vice President)
- Matt Gelfand (Technology Director)
- Jordan Roberts (Systems Director)