Prior HLEP Conferences
Entrepreneurship, Investment, and the Greater Good
Saturday, April 9th, 2016, from 2:00-6:00pm
in the Langdell Library building at Harvard Law School (Room 225, a/k/a Vorenberg Room)
Networking Reception Sponsored by Covington & Burling LLP to follow from 6:00-8:00pm (Cambridge Queen's Head)
HLEP’s annual conference provides a unique opportunity for hands-on problem solving of legal and business questions facing start-up companies. It brings together students, attorneys, and entrepreneurs to tackle these issues in a team-based learning experience. This year’s conference combines an exploration of entrepreneurship with social justice goals by incorporating the findings of students involved in this year’s Incubate Workshop, which consists of student teams that will offer solutions to improve the operations and outreach of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau. As an attendee, you will:
Make Contacts by working in small groups with attorneys
Learn About Startup Issues by working through hypothetical problems, including IP issues, structuring equity, and negotiating exits
Explore a Range of Career Options by interacting and networking with lawyers who have experience working with emerging companies and entrepreneurs.
Purchase your tickets* here.
*Tickets include access to the Conference's programs, food, and drinks.
FREE Networking reception following the conference sponsored by Covington & Burling LLP.
Participating Advisors and Guest Speakers (will be continued to be updated):
- Keynote Speaker: Joshua Fox - Partner at WilmerHale
- Robert Blasi - Member of Danielson Legal LLC
- Michael Bookman - Associate at Latham & Watkins
- Jennifer Fang - Associate at Goodwin Procter
- Jessica Milner - Associate at Covington & Burling
- Sacha Ross - Partner at Wilson Sonsini
- Joshua Rottner - Associate at Cooley
- Stephanie Singer - Associate at WilmerHale
2016 Conference Director
Eric Fu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Legal Negotiations Along the Startup Lifecycle
Saturday, April 11, 2015, from 2:00-5:00pm
in the Wasserstein building at Harvard Law School (Room 2012)
Networking Reception to follow from 5:00-6:00pm (HLS Pub)
Not interested in sitting through another speaker lecture, but interested in learning more about legal issues facing startups? Come to HLEP's 2015 Conference: Legal Negotiations Along the Startup Lifecycle! The conference’s unique format pairs students in small groups of 10 students with 2 law firm partners, associates, venture capitalists, or general counsels to work through a diverse range of problems facing startups.
- Make Contacts by working in small groups with 2 attorneys or venture capitalists
- Learn about startup issues by working through hypothetical problems, including IP issues, structuring equity, and negotiating exits
- Explore a Range of Career Options by interacting and networking with lawyers from a wide range of specialties, lawyers who have started their own Venture Capital Funds, and lawyers that are General Counsels at startups
BUY your $5 ticket at https://eventbrite.com/event/16237214947/
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/447000532142199/
Participants (will continue to be updated):
- Robert Blasi, Member of Danielson Legal LLC, (http://danielsonlegal.com/attorneys/robert-blasi/)
- Michael Bookman, Associate at Latham & Watkins, (http://www.lw.com/people/michael-bookman)
- Jackie De La Rosa, Co-Founder and General Counsel of Oasys Ventures, Inc.
- Jennifer Fang, Associate at Goodwin Procter, (http://www.goodwinprocter.com/People/F/Fang-Jennifer.aspx)
- Joshua D. Fox, Partner at WilmerHale, (https://www.wilmerhale.com/joshua_fox/)
- Henry Grossman, Principal at HG Law
- Jay Hachigian, Founding Partner of Gunderson Dettmer, (http://www.gunder.com/people/jay-k.-hachigian)
- Ken Itrato, Principal at Faber Daeufer & Itrato (http://www.faberlawgroup.com/professionals/itrato.html)
- Christopher Keenan, Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs at Brightcove (https://www.brightcove.com)
- Joshua Rottner, Associate at Cooley, (http://www.cooley.com/jrottner)
- Larry Naughton, Partner at Choate, (http://mobile.choate.com/people/laurence-naughton)
- Gant Redmon, General Counsel and VP of Business Development, Resilient Systems, (https://www.resilientsystems.com/company/management-team/gant-redmon-esq)
- Sacha Ross, Partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, (https://www.wsgr.com/WSGR/DBIndex.aspx?SectionName=attorneys%2FBIOS%2F3738.htm)
- Matt Rowe, General Counsel of Shoobx, (http://www.shoobx.com/#team)
- Ryan Sansom, Partner at Goodwin Procter, (http://www.goodwinprocter.com/People/S/Sansom-Ryan.aspx)
2015 Conference Director
Lauren Visek (email@example.com)
Executing Like an Entrepreneur, Thinking Like a Lawyer
Saturday, April 5, 2014, from 2:00-5:00pm
in the Wasserstein building at Harvard Law School
(Room 2019—Milstein West)
Networking reception to follow from 5-6pm (hors d'oeuvres and open bar).
The conference will introduce law students and student entrepreneurs to how startup lawyers and their clients think through issues that frequently arise in the tech/startup space. The conference brings together a group of prominent Boston attorneys (general counsels and lawyers from firms) with centuries of collective experience in the tech and emerging-company space. The conference has an interactive, workshop-based format, affording students the opportunity to work directly with their peers and the guest attorneys. Seats are limited and advance registration required.
HLEP (www.hlep.org) provides free legal research and analysis for entrepreneurs at Harvard and MIT. We match entrepreneurs with teams of several Harvard Law School students and leading startup attorneys from prominent law firms in the Boston area. The teams work together to answer legal questions over the project cycle of six to ten weeks. Past clients have included the winner of the Harvard President's Challenge and finalists in the MIT $100k Entrepreneurship Challenge.
Attending guests include:
- Michael Bookman, Associate at Latham & Watkins, LLP (http://www.lw.com/people/michael-bookman)
- Jennifer Fang, Associate at Goodwin Procter (http://www.goodwinprocter.com/People/F/Fang-Jennifer.aspx)
- Joshua Fox, Partner at WilmerHale, LLP (http://www.wilmerhale.com/joshua_fox/)
- Henry Grossman, Practicing Attorney of HG Law
- Jay Hachigian, Founding partner of Gunderson Dettmer, LLP (http://www.gunder.com/people/jay-k.-hachigian)
- Mark Haddad, Partner, Deputy Chair, Business Department at Foley Hoag, LLP (http://www.foleyhoag.com/people/haddad-mark)
- Christopher Keenan, Vice President of Business & Legal Affairs at Brightcove (http://www.brightcove.com)
- John Kelleher, General Counsel of Hubspot (http://www.hubspot.com/company/management/john-kelleher)
- Patrick Mitchell, Partner at Cooley, LLP (http://www.cooley.com/pmitchell)
- Eric Pyenson, Vice President & General Counsel at A123 Systems, Inc. (http://www.a123systems.com/)
- Gant Redmon, General Counsel & Vice President of Business Development at Co3 Systems (https://www.co3sys.com/company/management-team/gant-redmon-esq)
- Sarah Reed, General Counsel of Charles River Ventures (http://www.crv.com/)
- Hugo Van Vuuren, Partner at Xfund (http://experimentfund.com/#people)
2014 Conference Directors